Blog Archive

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Sexy Hand Sewn Cocktail Dress


Ever been in a situation when you thought you have the tools to create something, only to find out that the  tool has already gone bust beyond repair after buying tons of materials to work on? Well I had that experience with my sewing machine....buying a new machine is not in my immediate priority list but this is not something that will prevent me from  creating- this only means a change in plan, design, and tools...


So instead of machine sewing, I did hand sewing...the design is modified to simple sheath dress instead of one with cinching and draping but still creates  a beautiful silhouette.

 


Presenting my hand sewn cocktail dress ......


 
The fabric is Jersey.... the good thing about this fabric is that it doesn't fray, thus there is no need to fold or edge stitch the hem, neckline and armhole....just measure, cut and stitch the shoulder and side.





 
Measure the widest part of the body and use this as the width of the dress. Some have the breast area as the wider part but as for me it is my hips. Oh don't forget to add half an inch extra for the seam.

Measure the length from the shoulder to mid thigh or an inch or two  above the knee. It can be floor length if a gown is desired.







In addition, I made a bracelet cum headband cum necklace out of the excess fabric.


 .....Stay in Style.....

No comments:

Post a Comment